Ingredients: (Serve 5)
- 1 – 2 kg Beef Bone (Xương ống)
- 300 – 500 gram Beef Lion (Bò nạm)
- 300 – 500 gram Beef Slice (Bò tái)
- 300 – 500 gram Beef Tendon (Bò gân)
- 5 – 10 Beef Balls (Bò viên)
- Spice Herb and aroma:
- 2 Ginger peices with finger size, sliced
- 1 peeled Onion, cut into half
- 1 peeled Onion, whole
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 3 – 4 Star anise
- 10 – 15 Whole clover
- (Optional) 2 – 3 Nutmeg
- (Optional) ~1 tsp Cumin
- (Optional) ~1 tsp Cilantro seed
- (Optional) ~1 tsp White paper seed
- 2 kg Rice noodle (Bánh phở)
- 300 – 500 gram Bean sprout, 5 – 10 Thai Basil
- (Optional) 5 – 10 Rice Patty (Ngò ôm), 5 – 10 leaves Saw tooth (Ngò gai)
- 2 Lime, chopped Red chili, chopped Spring Onion, 1 sliced Salad (RED) Onion, crushed black paper.
- Hoisin sauce, Hot Chili sauce.
- Seasoning: 2 tsp Salt, 1 big cube Rock sugar.
Step 1: Make the BROTH:
- Cook the bone for 5 – 10 minutes in high heat, then dump out the pot and wash the bone under running water.
- Boil 5 litters of water, and put in the Beef Bone, Beef Lion, Beef Tendon, whole peeled Onion, 2 tsp of Salt.
- Low the heat to minimum and cook for about 2 to 3 hours, DO NOT cover the lid and frequently skim off the foam on top.
- Afterwards, take beef lion, tendon out of the broth, put in cool place to let it shrink. Thin slice if needed.
Step 2: Make the AROMA:
- Grill 2 half Onion, 2 ginger pieces. Toast the spice herb until the aroma come out.
- Put all aroma into a soup bag, and put the bag into the broth.
- Let it cook for another 2 to 3 hours, in minimum heat and DO NOT cover the lid.
- Afterwards, take out the soup bag, put in a cube of Rock candy, and the beef balls.
Step 3: Establish the dish:
- Cook the noodle follow the package instruction. If it is fresh noodle, dip in boil water for around 10 – 15 seconds.
- Put noodle into a bowl, follow with Beef Lion, Beef Tendon, Beef Balls on the side.
- Put Beef Slice in the center, and topping with spring onion, salad onion, crushed black paper.
- Fill the soup into the bowl on the side but avoid the center to let the sliced Beef still rare, and onion still green.
Step 4: Serve:
- Serve with fresh Lime, bean sprout, Thai Basil, Rice Patty (Ngò ôm), Saw tooth (Ngò gai).
- And Hoisin sauce, Hot Chili sauce.
Important: Let the broth boil in minimum heat at all time, otherwise the soup will become brackish and turbid.
Tchvan’s recipes, original from tchvan.wordpress.com